Our new motto around here is “grill early and grill often”. Mr. Peach was gifted a very nice barbecue from his parents this past weekend and has been nonstop grillin’ ever since. It’s the cutest thing — he keeps wandering around asking me if there’s anything I need grilled. He usually texts me several emojis when he’s leaving work in the evening, always transportation themed. For example, last week I got 8 train emojis, which means “on my way home!” Tonight, I got fire and chicken emojis, which he later explained means “on my way home to grill some chicken”. Obviously.
These delicious Thai Peanut Chicken Wraps wouldn’t be possible without Mr. Peach’s dedication to all things grilled. The chicken is marinated in a tangy, thai-inspired marinade and grilled to perfection before joining an arsenal of crisp veggies, brown rice, and a creamy and slightly spicy peanut and coconut sauce, all wrapped up in a whole wheat tortilla.
We’ve eaten them for lunch every single day this week. Every single day and I’m still not over them. The bright flavor of the chicken, with the crunch of the veggies and creaminess of the coconut peanut sauce has been making my lunch hours HIGHLY enjoyable.
As a bonus, these are super easy to throw together. I’d recommend making the brown rice ahead of time so it’s ready to go, but everything else comes together in just over half an hour, including the time it takes to marinate the chicken. Don’t let the ingredient list intimidate you. It looks long, but it really comes together quickly.
In other news, Happy Friday!
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ⅔ cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chili paste (sambal oelek)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ cup light coconut milk
- 6 whole wheat tortillas
- 1.5 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ small head of cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 carrots
- Begin by combining the first six ingredients, whisking until slightly emulsified. Marinate chicken in mixture for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, combine all the ingredients for the sauce in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Shred the cabbage, thinly slice the red pepper, and julienne the carrots (or do like I do and just buy them pre-julienned).
- Grill the chicken on a pre-heated grill over medium heat for about 6-7 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature has reached around 165 degrees fahrenheit. Remove from the grill and let rest for a few minutes before cutting each breast into ½ inch thick slices.
- To assemble the wraps, heat the tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until they are warm and pliable. Place ¼ cup of rice on each tortilla, followed by a handful of cabbage, red pepper, and carrots. Top with chicken and a few tablespoons of the peanut sauce and wrap tightly.