If you’ve been reading this blog for any amount of time at all, you should know how much I love my naan pizzas, flatbreads, and with everything. So it shouldn’t come as any surprise that today I’m bringing the naan back.
Maybe the best thing about this recipe is that while yes, the pizza is delectable, the roasted veggies themselves are delicious and super versatile. I roasted them ahead of time (which makes this meal a 10 minutes or under type of deal), but before the veggies even made it onto a single pizza, they ended up in a sandwich with edamame hummus for a tasty, vegan lunch.
I also ate about a quarter of the veggies straight off the sheet pan as soon they’d cooled enough for my grubby little fingers to pick them up and eat them. I suspect they’d be equally delicious pureed into some sort of soup situation.
The other thing I absolutely love about making these pizzas is that the roasted vegetables make your whole home smell like you not only know how to cook something that isn’t boxed mac and cheese (hello, my life lately), but that you know how to cook it well.
A couple of quick notes about substitutions.
- I’m a fan of pizza sauce. For this reason, I’m going to go ahead and very highly recommend you use this 3-Ingredient Marinara for the pizza sauce.
- You can also leave off a tomato based sauce altogether and just use a little bit of olive oil brushed onto the naan, followed by the cheese and veggies.
- I used onion, bell pepper, and mushrooms for my veggies, but you could really use anything you have on hand. I have it on good authority that asparagus would be lovely.
- I used part-skim mozzarella and chevre for the cheeses here, but fresh mozz and any soft goat cheese would be delightful.
Point being, there’s no one right way to make these pizzas.
You do you.
- 1 red onion
- 2 bell peppers (I used one red, one green)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (dried or fresh)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 naan breads
- 1 cup pizza sauce (or sub a few tablespoons of olive oil)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- balsamic glaze, for serving
- Begin by chopping the onion, peppers, and mushrooms into bite sized chunks. Throw them into a bowl with the herbs, garlic, and olive oil. Toss until combined and spread out onto two baking sheets. Be sure to not overcrowd the veggies or they won't roast properly.
- Bake the veggies in a preheated 450 degree F oven for about 20 minutes, shaking the pans at least once in the middle of baking.
- Spread the pizza sauce (if using) evenly onto the naan breads. Top each pizza with mozzarella, reserving a handful. Top with roasted veggies, crumble the goat cheese over the veggies, and top with a sprinkling of the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake on a baking sheet or pizza stone at 450 degrees F for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately, drizzled with balsamic glaze.