My mom drove down to Eugene on a random evening a few weeks ago to bring a home cooked meal to Mr. Peach and I. It had been kind of a stressful week and her visit reminded me how privileged I am to have my family close by again. It also reminded me that my mom is one of the most thoughtful people I know and that I should make a more concerted effort to be like her.
My mom happened to mention over dinner that she’d made some basil mayonnaise recently and that it was taking her panini game to the next level.
As I’m wont to do, I got the idea of basil mayonnaise stuck in my head. So now I’ve been eating these paninis like it’s my full time job. Toasty bread, melty mozzarella, roasted red peppers, and of course, that basil mayo.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (or 3 tablespoons Gourmet Garden Basil Paste)
- 1 clove garlic
- juice from half a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 slices bread (whole wheat sourdough was especially delightful)
- 2 tablespoons basil mayonnaise
- 1-2 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- ½ roasted red pepper
- thinly sliced oven roasted turkey breast (optional)
- To make the basil mayonnaise, combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and run for a minute or until everything is well combined.
- For panini, spread the basil mayo on both slices of bread. Layer the mozzarella and roasted red pepper, and turkey (if using).
- Cook on a panini press or grill for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.