One of the very best things about moving back to Oregon has been the proximity to my family and the ability to be present for more than Christmas and maybe a week in the summer. This weekend, we headed up to my parent’s house (which is now an hour’s drive rather than a 6-hour plane ride) to watch my brother play in a 3-on-3 basketball tournament. He’s played in this tournament almost every year since we were kids, but I’ve missed the last 5 so it felt really good to be able to be there (and to yell like a crazy person at the opposite teams). His team played SO WELL, winning 3 out of 4 games and as a bonus, Trudydog is (for once) completely worn out. A tired dog is a good dog!
After spending the weekend gorging myself on the world’s best barbecue (thanks, dad!) and my mom’s homemade granola bars (not to mention about 7 Chocolate Chip Cookies from last week), I felt like a little balance was in order. Enter this Mango, Black Bean, and Quinoa Salad. Savory with a little bit of sweetness, this easy-to-make salad is healthy, filling, and vegan.
The nutty quinoa, sweet little mango bits, and bright, citrusy dressing really make this. And if you make the quinoa ahead of time, this salad comes together in about 15 minutes. Healthy, fast, and tasty. Done and done.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14 oz. can black beans
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large mango
- 3 green onions
- handful cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey (substitute maple syrup for a vegan sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- pepper, to taste
- Combine the quinoa and vegetable broth in a pot over high heat. When it comes to a boil, lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 15-17 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To make the dressing, combine the lime juice, vinegar, honey, salt, and garlic powder. Drizzle in the olive oil, whisking until completely incorporated.
- Dice the bell pepper and mango. Chop the cilantro and green onions. Drain and rinse the black beans. Combine the veggies, beans, quinoa, and dressing in a large bowl. Add pepper and salt, to taste.