Taking a mediterranean-inspired chopped salad to the next level is the raison d’être for these Crispy Italian Roasted Chickpeas, which is why I’ve opted to name them so. Fair warning — I can’t confirm that there’s anything authentically Italian about this recipe.
Beyond the big flavors and satisfyingly crunchy texture of these chickpeas, they are also healthy, enjoying both gluten free and vegan statuses. While gluten and I are pretty much BFFs (a world without bread is a world I no longer wish to inhabit), I will (begrudgingly) acknowledge the merits of limiting simple carbs in my diet. Foods like these chickpeas tend to help.
Likewise, in a (vain) attempt to limit the amount of cheese I consume to somewhere around the moderately reasonable mark, I opted to omit dairy from this recipe. Were I to follow my
heart stomach rather than my head in this endeavor, I would have added about a quarter cup of finely grated parmesan cheese to the mix. You know, just to see.
I suspect it would be pretty tasty business.
If you try it with the addition of the parm, be sure to let me know 🙂
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup minced fresh herbs (I used basil, parsley, oregano, and a little bit of thyme)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and then lay on a clean kitchen towel to dry for a few minutes.
- Toss together all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown in color, giving the baking sheet a good shake about halfway through.
- Let cool and enjoy.