If I’m honest, I feel like I was a little bit late to the Buffalo Sauce party. I’ve been seeing all kinds of delicious looking buffalo dips and vegetables and casseroles and cheesy things pop up all over the internet and was having some serious FOMO.
Crispy, spicy quinoa and white bean patties smothered in cilantro-lime buffalo sauce wrapped up in a pillowy pita with crisp veggies and cool bleu cheese dressing.
So yes, I was late to the Buffalo sauce party. But I got there.
And I hope you’ll agree that the spicy, tangy, protein-packed goodness of these pitas makes up for my tardiness.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup Frank's Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 limes
- ¾ cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup oil
- flatbreads, pitas, tortillas, or other wraps
- romaine lettuce, chopped
- carrot, shredded
- green onions, sliced
- bleu cheese or ranch dressing
- Bring the quinoa and water to boil in a saucepan over high heat. Once boiling, cover and reduce to a simmer for 15-17 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
- While the quinoa is cooking, combine hot sauce, olive oil, juice from the limes, and cilantro in a food processor and pulse until thoroughly combined. Pour sauce into a separate container, reserving about ¾ cup of sauce in the food processor. Add the white beans to the reserved sauce and process until completely smooth.
- Once quinoa is done cooking, combine in a large bowl with the bean mixture, bread crumbs, egg, and salt. I do this with clean hands to get everything well-combined.
- Using your hands, form patties from about ½ cup of the quinoa mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add a few of the patties at a time, cooking for about 5-7 minutes on each side or until crisp and brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and repeat with the remaining patties.
- Spoon some of the remaining buffalo sauce over each patty. Wrap two patties in a flatbread with lettuce, carrot, and green onions. Serve with extra buffalo sauce and bleu cheese dressing.